[Code of Federal Regulations]
[Title 21, Volume 3]
[Revised as of April 1, 2006]
From the U.S. Government Printing Office via GPO Access
TITLE 21--FOOD AND DRUGS
CHAPTER I--FOOD AND DRUG ADMINISTRATION, DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH AND HUMAN
PART 172_FOOD ADDITIVES PERMITTED FOR DIRECT ADDITION TO FOOD FOR HUMAN
CONSUMPTION--Table of Contents
Subpart I_Multipurpose Additives
Sec. 172.894 Modified cottonseed products intended for human
The food additive modified cottonseed products may be used for human
consumption in accordance with the following prescribed conditions:
(a) The additive is derived from:
(1) Decorticated, partially defatted, cooked, ground cottonseed
(2) Decorticated, ground cottonseed kernels, in a process that
utilizes n-hexane as an extracting solvent in such a way that no more
than 60 parts per million of n-hexane residues and less than 1 percent
fat by weight remain in the finished product; or
(3) Glandless cottonseed kernels roasted to attain a temperature of
not less than 250 [deg]F in the kernel for not less than 5 minutes for
use as a snack food, or in baked goods, or in soft candy; or
(4) Raw glandless cottonseed kernels may be used in hard candy where
the kernel temperature during cooking will exceed 250 [deg]F for not
less than 5 minutes.
(b) The additive is prepared to meet the following specifications:
(1) Free gossypol content not to exceed 450 parts per million.
(2) It contains no added arsenic compound and therefore may not
exceed a maximum natural background level of 0.2 part per million total
arsenic, calculated as As.
(c) To assure safe use of the additive, the label of the food
additive container shall bear, in addition to other information required
by the act, the name of the additive as follows:
(1) The additive identified in paragraph (a)(1) of this section as
``partially defatted, cooked cottonseed flour''.
(2) The additive identified in paragraph (a)(2) of this section as
``defatted cottonseed flour''.
(3) The additive identified in paragraph (a)(3) of this section as
``roasted glandless cottonseed kernels''.
(4) The additive identified in paragraph (a)(4) of this section as
``raw glandless cottonseed kernels for use in cooked hard candy''.
(d) The Food and Drug Administration and the Environmental
Protection Agency have determined that glandless cottonseed kernels
permitted for use by this section are a distinct commodity from glanded
Additives that reference this regulation: