[Code of Federal Regulations]
[Title 21, Volume 3]
[Revised as of April 1, 2006]
From the U.S. Government Printing Office via GPO Access
TITLE 21--FOOD AND DRUGS
CHAPTER I--FOOD AND DRUG ADMINISTRATION, DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH AND HUMAN
PART 172_FOOD ADDITIVES PERMITTED FOR DIRECT ADDITION TO FOOD FOR HUMAN
CONSUMPTION--Table of Contents
Subpart H_Other Specific Usage Additives
Sec. 172.725 Gibberellic acid and its potassium salt.
The food additives gibberellic acid and its potassium salt may be
used in the malting of barley in accordance with the following
(a) The additives meet the following specifications:
(1) The gibberellic acid is produced by deep-culture fermentation of
a suitable nutrient medium by a strain of Fusarium moniliforme or a
selection of this culture.
(2) The gibberellic acid produced is of 80 percent purity or better.
(3) The empirical formula of gibberellic acid is represented by
(4) Potassium gibberellate is the potassium salt of the specified
(5) The potassium gibberellate is of 80 percent purity or better.
(6) The gibberellic acid or potassium gibberellate may be diluted
with substances generally recognized as safe in foods or with salts of
fatty acids conforming to Sec. 172.863.
(b) They are used or intended for use in the malting of barley under
conditions whereby the amount of either or both additives present in the
malt is not in excess of 2 parts per million expressed as gibberellic
acid, and the treated malt is to be used in the production of fermented
malt beverages or distilled spirits only, whereby the finished distilled
spirits contain none and the finished malt beverage contains not more
than 0.5 part per million of gibberellic acid.
(c) To insure the safe use of the food additives the label of the
package shall bear, in addition to the other information required by the
(1) The name of the additive, ``gibberellic acid'' or ``potassium
gibberellate'', whichever is appropriate.
(2) An accurate statement of the concentration of the additive
contained in the package.
(3) Adequate use directions to provide not more than 2 parts per
million of gibberellic acid in the finished malt.
(4) Adequate labeling directions to provide that the final malt is
properly labeled as described in paragraph (d) of this section.
(d) To insure the safe use of the additive the label of the treated
malt shall bear, in addition to the other information required by the
Act, the statements:
(1) ``Contains not more than 2 parts per million ------'', the blank
being filled in with the words ``gibberellic acid'' or ``potassium
gibberellate'', whichever is appropriate; and
(2) ``Brewer's malt--To be used in the production of fermented malt
beverages only'' or ``Distiller's malt--To be used in the production of
distilled spirits only'', whichever is appropriate.
Additives that reference this regulation: